Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: MR94B horns successfully picked up

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi All,

    Well, I ended up being able to get the big Mantarays from the goverment after all. RacerXtreme picked them up at the base for me, then I drove to his place when I had time. Thanks RacerXtreme!! I kept 3 horns, and he kept 2..... what was I going to do with 5 horns any way!

    Man these things are BIG!! I set them down in my living room in front of my early 828 cabinets..... they make the cabinets look small.... must have something to do with the Mantarays being 3 feet wide :-) I plan on building a suedo A10 system at some point in the future.

    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  2. #2
    Inactive Member RacerXX's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 16th, 2006
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Glad I could help you out.

    Thanx for the horns!

    Gonna try to get the other 5 from Joe.

    Can't believe they had 25 of them.........

    Man are they huge. Think they'll sound nice with the 210's.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member sguttag's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 18th, 2006
    Posts
    30
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The Manarays are the best CD horns ever, bar none. I've used the MR94B on both 210 and 828 cabinets. The MR64 are also quite excellent and good for long rooms. The MR94B is definately my favorite horn though...followed by the MRII594A.

    To answer the question of what to do with five of them....that is easy if you are in the theatre biz...put all five behind the screen for a Todd Ao type theatre.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    MR94B horns  successfully picked up


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by RacerXX:
    Can't believe they had 25 of them.........

    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">forums In another thread here I was talking about 34 290's the government was selling.

    Only in America!

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member dhook17322's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    176
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Nice acquisition - the full size Manta-rays are indeed monsters. A while back I bought 4 off ebay: 2 MR42's, an MR 64 and an MR 94. The MR-42's are 60" tall without the drivers in place. Should be interesting to experiment with these monsters. Wish I had a pair of the wider angle ones instead of one of each.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member N.B.C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    July 22nd, 2006
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    Regarding these government surplus items in general. Since a lot of these 'lots' of gear are located in states it is not ecnomical most of us drive to and pick up, it would be great if any member who happens to be within driving distance were to purchase them (pennies on the dollar!) and then make them available to our DIY community for a small fee to cover time, effort and of course shipping. For example, those 290's or the Mantarays, or whatever pops up in the future.

    I have a friend who did something similar back with drivers he got from Disneyworld a few years back for his DIY e-community.

    This could enable interesting group experiences, since there would be a group of people having the exact same gear (i.e., a known 'reference'), such as Altec horns or drivers, from which to assess and discuss the relative merits of other system improvements.

    What do you guys think?

    Neil

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.